For my audio story, I interviewed several members of my ‘ohana including my sons, daughter, grandchildren, cousins, in-laws, friends, etc. because I wanted this project to reflect the theme of my blog. I recorded their responses to the question, “What is family?” I left out some of the interviews in my audio story because some of the younger children are too difficult to understand, and others pretty much repeat the answers of others.
I created my story using Adobe Audition software, a digital camera, and Soundcloud. Once the interviews were recorded, I transferred them to my computer to select the clips I wanted to use. I took some of the advice from the article “The New Newsroom” and used an aggressive approach to edit my clips. This article suggests we “select for emotion, keep it short, and reduce redundancies” (Workman).
I went through several editing sessions with each interview. The first time I cut out all the uhms, ahs, and long pauses. After I decided what I wanted to say in my story, I went through the recordings and cut out the responses I wanted to include. For example, my daughter’s original response was over one minute. Instead of using the entire recording, I cut out various sections that fit my narrative. I taped myself for the narrative in separate recordings to make it easier to “splice” everyone together.
Once I decided to add ambient music, I went to the link provided by our instructor (http://creativecommons.org/music-communities). I found the music I wanted to use at http://www.jamendo.com/en/artist/432520/quietly-concerned. I used the tools we learned in our tutorial to lower the sound of the music and to fade it at the end. When I was done with the AA session, I exported the file so I could upload my audio story to Soundcloud and post it to my blog.
I want to thank my fellow classmates for their feedback. I think Tim had a better understanding of what I wanted to do with my project and I found his suggestions to be the most helpful. I used his ideas in completing my final draft. I did not incorporate the ideas for change from the other classmates because I was going for a different effect from what they were suggesting. For example, I could have conducted my interviews in a quiet room, but I wanted the sounds of family members in the background. I wanted my audio story to truly reflect the presence of ‘ohana. I used ambient music to tie all the segments together. As Tim mentions, there is a subtle decrease in the music volume while the interviewees are talking. I did this because I wanted my audience to hear the background sounds of family, and to signal the shift from the narrator to interviewee. I tweaked the volumes of the music and my narration as Tim suggested. I hope that this resolves the problem one student had with not being able to hear certain parts of the story. If not, I recommend listening to the story with headphones. As the article Teen Reporter Handbook suggests, “Always wear your headphones” (Teenage Diaries). I played my audio story for my family and they loved it! So, I am pleased with the final draft.
Teenage Diaries. Radio Diaries >>Technical Tips. n.d. n.d. n.d. Web. March 2014. http://www.radiodiaries.org/trh/technical-tips/.
Workman, Karen. The New Newsroom: Audio editing tips: ‘An aggressive process’. 16 November 2011. Web. March 2014. http://opnewsroom.blogspot.com/2011/11/audio-editing-tips-aggressive-process.html.
Here is my story…
Here is the URL in case it does not play:
The ambient music is from a track called “The End” by an artist who goes by the name Quietly Concerned. (http://www.jamendo.com/en/artist/432520/quietly-concerned)
He shares his music under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommerical-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. (http://www.quietlyconcerned.com/license/)